Oct 31 2007
Oooh, a new buzz phrase!
One Aussie blogger who always makes me think a little deeper is Gavin Heaton. Well Gavin’s tagged me with a meme which, true to form, has made me think.
What is a Media Snacker?
Well according to this (90 second embedded video – why don’t these go through the feed anymore?), Media Snackers are young people who consume “Wherever, Whenever and Whatever” they like. Media Snackers are also likely to create as much as they consume. Snacking involves the use of new technologies like iPods (music and podcasts on demand), mobile phones, flickr, Youtube, blogging, rss, instant messaging, social networking. They like to multi-task and have multiple conversations.
One thing I object to (as do others) however, the video has multiple reference to Media Snackers being “young people”. I don’t think “young” as anything to do with it. Unless the video is pitched to the over 70’s, “young” would generally infer to me people under say, 25. But the same argument can be made about Gen C.
The source of this meme is Jeremiah Owyang who asks “Do you Respect Media Snackers“?
How do I respect Media Snackers?
Personally and on this blog:
- offering a full content rss feed
- offering an email subscription option
- providing a widget to preview items from other Australian bloggers
- making my blog easy to navigate by providing a search, blogroll, archives, categories and links to my favorite articles
- encouraging comments (and thereby contributing to “multiple conversations”) and responding to a vast majority
- making myself accessible via a multitude of social networks and messaging platforms (see about me)
1. Developing a business directory which;
- provides quick delivery of information (whatever),
- enables businesses to add their details at their convenience (whenever),
- permits businesses to add comprehensive information (whatever, user generated content)
- facilitates multiple communication via QuoteMe!,
- allows users to leave business reviews (consumer generated content)
- mobile business search (whatever, whenever, wherever)
2. Developing a dating site.
3. Developing a funeral notice website, independent of specific newspaper publications.
How I’m probably disrespectful (and no offense intended)
- provide alternative form of communication (eg video or podcasting),
- write concise “snack sized” posts,
- have a subscribe to comments facility (still looking into another plugin),
- have print friendly formatting,
- have a mobile specific layout (though perhaps not too bad).
So what’s your view of “Media Snackers”? Do you agree we’ve become a society of snackers and do you respect them?
17 Responses to “Media Snackers – What you talkin’ ’bout?”