Jun 30 2007
Here are the results so far:
An example I received (three times)
Hi, I just wanted to use the new messaging feature to tell you that I really appreciate having you in The __________ community!
and one of the advantage of having a community is to have a lot of friends. as mark of our friendship i’d like to exchange links.
drop me a word in case you are interested.
What can you do?
- Visit the community and click the “leave” button (let’s see, I’d only have to do this a maximum of 918 times)
- Turn off your email notifications (you won’t get these messages any more, nor will you get notification of any “legitimate” messages)
- Don’t worry, they’ll all be there on your profile page, so you will have to filter through heaps of junk to find the “legitimate” messages
- DON’T message your community. Come on, surely I’m NOT ALONE in disliking this service.
- Ask MyBlogLog to add a new messaging option – do not allow mass messages from community owners
A Message to MyBlogLog Community owners – please take notice.
Do not diminish your reputation by using this mass mailing feature, however tempting it may be. I joined your community because it looked interesting. I know it’s there. I know what you do. Please don’t make me sorry I joined.
(As an aside – I wrote about spam tagging of MyBlogLog communities the other day, and have noticed there is (now?) a profile option where you can restrict who can tag you – the options are “everybody”, “my contacts” or “me”. I would highly recommend selecting the “me” option.)
Update: Hmm I tried to add a tag to my own profile and received this message, seems you might have to toggle this option back on if you want to add a tag.
This is my new MyBlogLog avatar:
Update: Other good posts
Andy Beard – MyBlogLog New Features – The abusive and Incomplete
Both link to other commentary about this topic.
Update 4/7/07 – Snoskred has made a commitment not to spam her community. I echo her sentiments. She also links to Jon, who has also created an image you can post on your blog to show your dissent and commitment not to spam.
Alex also writes a well considered post.
60 Responses to “Community Messages on MyBlogLog”